Monday, July 27, 2026

27 July 2026: DM's Guide--Pages 9-38 Characters, Dice, and Parasites (plus diseases, gems, and wereboars)

    There is a lot going on in the first 38 pages of this book. Gygax begins with an overview of who this book is for (Dungeon Masters), how the dice work (distributions) where to buy miniatures (from TSR), how to generate ability scores (various methods), character aging...and then the chances of parasitic infestation. I was reminded of J.R.R. Tolkien beginning his 1,000+ page fantasy epic with a detailed breakdown of the types of pipe weed one would find in the Shire. Holy shit. People have suggested that the DM's Guide of 1979 is poorly organized...and they are 100% correct! 

    Nonetheless, I have not read this thing since I was a kid, so I'm making my way through it. By page 14, we are into a detailed table about diseases with descriptions of each kind (connective system, joints, urinary system). EGG uses the term 'milieu' so frequently that I had to look it up to make sure I understood the definition (the social and physical setting in which people live).  Next up: descriptions of abilities, then followers per class, then right back into the depths with warhorses, spying, and ways for thieves to set traps and climb walls. 
    Monsters as player characters? Not encouraged. Alignments and alignment languages (which is so fucking odd), the cost of changing alignments, then money, the value of gems, and types of armor with descriptions. Squeeze in dexterity armor class bonus and weapon types 'to hit' adjustment notes, followed quickly by rules for hirelings, a long part about sages, and henchmen. 
    I've written before  about EGG's thoughts on time in a campaign--something the author says (in all caps) "YOU CAN NOT HAVE A MEANINGFUL CAMPAIGN IF STRICT TIME RECORDS ARE NOT KEPT," before transitioning with no segue to character spells. 
    I am not making this up. It's like he just...wrote whatever popped into his head at the time and put it in without rhyme or reason. It is amazing.


Quotes of Note:

"In a well planned and well judged campaign this is not too likely to happen, for the superior DM will have just enough treasure to whet the appetite of players, while keeping them lean and hungry still, and always after that carrot iust ahead" (pg. 12).

"To adventure amongst the weird is fantasy enough without becoming that too" (pg. 21).



No comments:

Post a Comment

17 August 2026 DM's Guide: Creating Magic Items, Magic Items, and the Appendices (pg. 114-230)

            Finished. The last part of the book lent itself to some skimming as there are many, many tables and a long section of alphabetic...